I am always on the hunt for simple, healthy weeknight meals that become my lunch the next day. When looking for healthy recipes I always look for a few things — lots of vegetables, a key protein, and something I can duplicate with ease. When I came across this recipe by Iowa Girl Eats, I checked off all 3 of my necessities.
- 1 3/4 cup of vegetable broth (I prefer the boxes over the cans)
- 1 cup quinoa (my protein!)
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and then sliced (half moons)
- 2 ears of corn, cut off the cob
- 3 green onions
- heaping handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
Honey Lemon Dressing
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, microplaned
- salt and pepper to taste
1.) Boil vegetable broth in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and cover. Turn down the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 25-30 minutes until the broth has been absorbed. You will be able to fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let the quinoa cool down as you prepare the other ingredients
2.) Combine the ingredients for the honey lemon dressing. Whisk and set aside as you cook the quinoa and vegetables.
3.) Heat EVOO in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until you smell the aroma. Add zucchini, corn, green onions and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Make sure you do not overcook your vegetables as you want them to be tender. This will be about 5 minutes of cooking time. Add the slightly cooled quinoa and half the dressing into the pan and cook for one more minute.
4.) Add remaining dressing, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and mint to the skillet and combine evenly. I allowed about 10-15 minutes for the dish to cool so it could be a refreshing summertime meal. Enjoy!
What is your favorite summertime dinner recipe? Do leftovers become lunch the next day?